Attributes of an Excel Pro:
- They grab data from one or more sources.
- They prep the data, often using VLOOKUP.
- They then create pivots over the prepared data.
- Sometimes they subsequently index into the resulting pivots, using formulas, to produce polished reports. Other times, the pivots themselves serve as the reports.
- They then share the reports with their colleagues, typically via email or by saving to a network drive.
- They spend at least half of their time re-creating the same reports, updated with the latest data, on a recurring basis.
Most Excel Pros do not think of themselves as Pros: I find that most are quite modest about their skills. However, take it from someone who has studied Excel usage in depth: if you fit the bulleted criteria above, you are an Excel Pro. Wear the badge proudly.